Club 55+ Activities and Events
Canton Club 55+ is located in the Parkview Room of Summit on the Park Community Center.
- Monthly Newsletter: features all of the activities, events and things taking place within Club 55+.
- Discover Brochure: all Canton Leisure Services programs, classes, events and services are included in the bi-annual Discover program brochure. Offerings are available for all ages and interests.
- Registration: program registration is available online and at the Summit on the Park front desk.
Additional Program Information
Many of our programs are offered at a low cost. Each program will have the registration fee made available to you in the Discover Brochure or by calling 734/394-5485.
- Cards & Games
- Health & Fitness
- Sewing and Crafts
- Special Events
- Wii Bowling Leagues
Canton adults, age 55+, can enjoy drop-in pool playing during Parkview hours. No reservation necessary. Some equipment is provided. Please register at the Club 55+ front desk. Space is limited.
- Dates/Times: Monday - Sunday 8:30 am - 7:00 pm
- Registration and Information: Club 55+ front desk or 734/394-5485
Club 55+ Bingo
Bingo takes place approximately one time per month and is sponsored by American House. This program is designed for individuals 55+ years. For more information or to register, please call 734/394-5485 or complete Online Regist
- January 17 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- February 21 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- March 21 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- April 18 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- May 16 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- June 20 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- July 18 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- August 15 from 2:30 - 3:30 pm
|Duplicate Bridge||Mondays||6:15 pm|
|Open Cards||Tuesdays||12 pm|
|Open Bridge||Tuesdays||12 pm|
|Mexican Train||Thursdays||1 pm|
|Evening Cards||Thursdays||6 pm|
|Cards & Games||Saturday (3rd only)||11:00am|
At Summit on the Park we offer a number of different fitness classes for members and non members. Below is a sample of some of the classes we offer.
- Beginner Yoga: Various Days and Times
- Gentle Yoga: Thursdays 9:30 am
- Fit 4 Life: Tuesdays & Fridays 10:30 am
- Tai Chi: Mondays 1 pm
- Zumba Gold with Toning: Wednesdays 10:30 am
- A Matter of Balance Workshop Series: This 8 week workshop meets once a week and is presented by The Senior Alliance. This program is designed to teach participants to: view falls as controllable, set goals for increasing activity, make changes to reduce fall risks at home and exercise strength and balance. For more information or to register, please call Club 55 734/394-5485 or online.
- PATH ( Personal Action Toward Health) This 7 week workshop meets once a week, and is presented by The Senior Alliance. Learn how to: eat healthier, plan low-fat meals, read nutrition labels, manage stress, relaxation techniques and how to communicate effectively with family and health professionals. For more information or to register, please call Club 55 734/394-5485 or online.
Enjoy a monthly cinematic feature with friends. Movies start at 1:00pm in the PDC room. Please bring a sweater with you in case the room is chilly. Snacks sponsored by Regency of Canton. Please register for a spot not later than the day before the movie.
February 14th : The Proposal- PG-13
When high-powered book editor Margaret faces deportation to her native Canada, the quick-thinking exec declares that she's actually engaged to her unsuspecting put-upon assistant Andrew, who she's tormented for years. He agrees to participate in the charade, but with a few conditions of his own. The unlikely couple heads to Alaska to meet his quirky family, and the always-in-control city girl finds herself in one comedic fish-out-of-water situation after another. With an impromptu wedding in the works and an immigration official on their tails, Margaret and Andrew reluctantly vow to stick to the plan despite the precarious consequences. 107 Minutes
March 7th: The Book of Henry- PG-13 Crime/Drama
Sometimes things are not always what they seem, especially in the small suburban town where the Carpenter family lives. Single suburban mother Susan Carpenter works as a waitress at a diner, alongside feisty family friend Sheila. Her younger son Peter is a playful 8-year-old. Taking care of everyone and everything in his own unique way is Susan's older son Henry, age 11. Protector to his adoring younger brother and tireless supporter of his often self-doubting mother - and, through investments, of the family as a whole - Henry blazes through the days like a comet. Susan discovers that the family next door, which includes Henry's kind classmate Christina, has a dangerous secret - and that Henry has devised a surprising plan to help. As his brainstormed rescue plan for Christina takes shape in thrilling ways, Susan finds herself at the center of it.105 Minutes
April 11th: Florence Foster Jenkins-PG-13 Biography/Comedy/Drama/Music
Florence Foster Jenkins, an heiress from NYC, always wanted to be a concert pianist and play Carnegie Hall. An injury in her youth deterred that dream, so she sets out to sing her way to Carnegie Hall, knowing the only way to get there would be, "Practice, practice, practice". Her husband supports her venture, and Florence Foster Jenkins' performance at Carnegie Hall becomes a truly historic event. 111 Minutes
May 9: TBA
- June 6: TBA
- July 11: TBA
- August 8: TBA
Sewing and Crafts
Canton Leisure Services has many wonderful groups that meet to sew and complete crafts. These are great social opportunities and a chance to ask others for ideas.
- Afghan/Dishcloth Club: meets every Tuesday 9 am - 2 pm. Location: Summit on the Park
- Handcrafters: meets weekly on Thursdays 9:30 - 11:30 am
*This program is on hiatus for the summer.
- It's In the Bag: meets on Tuesdays 12:30 - 3:30 pm the 4th Tuesday of each month. Location: Summit on the Park
- Little Stitches of Hope: will be meeting February 6 from & May 8 from 9 am - 1pm
- Woodcarving: meets weekly on Tuesdays 9 - 11:15 am. Location: Summit on the Park
Save the date for our upcoming special events for Winter/Spring 2017. For more information (times, prices,location) please call Club 55+ or our Prime Times monthly newsletter.
Eastern Michigan Basketball Game: Intergenerational Field TripSaturday, February 3 from 11am – 3pm.
Spend the day cheering on the Eastern Michigan University Eagles Mens' Basketball team. After the game, enjoy a visit from Swoop the Mascot and get your picture taken on the court! You can bring a friend or even a family member. This is an intergenerational field trip offered through Club 55+, BLOCK Teen and Youth Center & Canton Lesiure Club. Limited tickets available. Please register by January 19th. Transportation will be provided via Canton Township vans.
Vans will be leaving the Summit at 11:15am.
Paczki/ Mardi Gras Party
Tuesday, February 13
Join us as we celebrate Shrove Tuesday and Mardi Gras. Enjoy a delicious, yet fattening pastry, while participating in a number of activities to win beads! Paczkis are graciously donated by Regency at Canton. Paczkis cannot be pre-ordered and will only be served while supplies last. Please register by Feb. 6 to participate in the activities.
Valentine’s Day Celebration
Wednesday, February 14
Celebrate Valentine’s Day with a friend or a loved one at our late morning High Tea, Tea party. Enjoy finger foods, desserts, and activities, followed by a romantic comedy move at 1pm. Please register by February 7.
Social Night out
Thursday, February 22 from 6 – 8pm
Are you looking to get out, meet new friends and have a good time? Our Social Nights provide a casual fun way to meet other individuals age 55+ and have a great night out on the town.This month we will be participating in Bingo and a Wine Tasting at Vintners Canton Winery .This event will include munchies, 6 Bingo cards and 10 wine tastings between bingos. Limited space is available. Please register by February 16th.
Canton's Club 55+ has a well established Wii Bowling League. This group meets weekly
for some friendly competition, socialization and exercise.You can sign up as a team/individual or sub. Teams are made up of 4 participants.
- Meeting Dates: Wednesdays 10am & 11am/Thursdays 11am, 12:15pm & 1:15pm/ Fridays 10:30am
- Participation Fee: $5 Canton Residents / $7 Non-Residents
- Registration and Information: Club 55+ front desk 734/394-5485
- Next session starts: January 10
Feel free to stop by Club 55+ on Wednesdays or Thursdays from 10:00am - 11:30am for a friendly game of wii bowling. All welcome to join.
Drop in and enjoy playing the fastest growing sport in North America. Pickleball is a mixture of Tennis & Badminton and is a great source of exercise. Before participating, please pre-register at the Club 55+ desk and fill out a medical waiver.
- Indoor Courts
- Outdoor Courts (Seasonal)
- Different levels of play (Novice, Intermediate & Advance)
- Drop in & League play
- Learn to Play Clincs
- Paddle borrowing program
Looking to get moving? Tennis is a wonderful way to enjoy the outdoors while exercising. Drop in programs run during the Spring/Summer/early Fall for ages 55+. Before participating, please pre-register at the Club 55+ desk and fill out a medical waiver.
- Outdoor courts at two locations (Griffin and Flodin Park)
- Different levels of play ( Recreational & Competitive)
- Tennis balls
Volleyball & Walleyball
Come and enjoy a match or two of drop-in volleyball. Participants can come as an individual, pair or a group. If there is more than enough participants for a game of Volleyball, a game of Walleyball will also take place in the racquetball court and participants can rotate between the two. Before participating, please pre-register at the Club 55+ desk and fill out a medical waiver.
- 1 indoor Volleyball court
- 1 indoor Walleyball court
- All levels of play