Canton Township prides itself on providing an excellent system of parks which offer a variety of activities for residents, plus a place for families to gather for picnics and other outdoor activities. Park pavilions, gazebo, and the Amphitheater in Heritage Park are available for rental by community groups and individuals. To locate a park near you, please check out our Canton Township Facilities, Parks, and Open Spaces Map.
2017 Parks Spring/Summer Season Update
Canton Parks amenities are starting to open for the season, including:
- Freedom Pickleball Courts
- Flodin Tennis Courts
- Griffin Tennis Courts.
- Park public restrooms are scheduled to open April 3, 2017.
Canton Township requires that all residents and guests abide by the Ordinances and Rules set up by the Township. For the enjoyment and safety of everyone using Canton's parks, we thank you for paying attention to the following:
- Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times (and please leave nothing behind...)
- Skateboarding is not allowed in Canton parks
- All of our parks are open from 6 am - 10 pm
- Motorized, electrical boats must have Park Superintendent's approval
- No alcohol is allowed in Canton Parks
2017 Pavilion Rental Information
Pavilions and the Amphitheater are available for rent at Heritage Park and Freedom Park. All guests must adhere to park and pavilion rules.
- Online reservations for 2017 begins for residents February 6, 9 am.
- Phone-in reservations for residents can be made beginning March 1, 9 am by calling 734/394-5310.
- Non-Residents can begin making reservations March 28, 9 am.
- Full payment for the Pavilion is required at the time of reservation. Staff will not be able to hold a Pavilion without payment.
- Online Pavilion Reservations
Gazebo Rental Information
- The Heritage Park Gazebo can be reserved through Summit on the Park Katherine's Catering Office by calling 734/394-5486.
Commemorative Tree and Bench Program
Canton Leisure Services offers residents, businesses and guests the opportunity to create a memorial or sponsorship within our parks, trails and around facilities. Current opportunities include the purchase of trees and park benches. This is a great way to show your support for the communities natural spaces and for remembering loved ones.
Benefits of Getting Outdoors and Enjoying Canton's Parks
Whether you are walking your dog, shooting hoops, or cooling off in one of our splash playgrounds, Canton's parks offer numerous leisure amenities.
In addition to these expected opportunities, Canton's parks can also provide measurable health benefits, from providing direct contact with nature and a cleaner environment, to opportunities for physical activity and social interaction.
- Preliminary evidence suggests that using parks may lead to other healthy lifestyle choices, such as balanced eating.
- Outdoor exercise has been shown to renew energy and foster a sense of psychological restoration.
- Researchers have identified a positive correlation between play in parks and heightened concentration among children with attention deficit disorder.
- Parks increase property values - and improve the tax base - as home buyers are more often willing to pay a higher price for a residence near a park.
- Trees and shrubs reduce air pollution control expenses.
- Green spaces protect groundwater sources and their no-mow buffer zones can also cut the cost of area drinking water.